The line between our online and offline lives is indistinguishable. In these tech-fueled times, our homes, societal well-being, economic prosperity and nation’s security are impacted by the internet.
This year's theme is ‘Own IT. Secure IT. Protect IT. and the focus is encouraging personal accountability and proactive behavior in security best practices and digital privacy. Office1 Solutions Engineer Curtis Buhrkuhl says cybersecurity is crucial to keeping business data secure as online risks continue to rise, "Cybersecurity Awareness Month puts a spotlight on the threats that we face going online. As a solutions engineer for Office1, I have seen many small business owners fail to adequately invest in their cybersecurity infrastructure putting their business and their clients at risk."
So what can you do to protect your IT?Own IT.
- Never Click and Tell: staying safe on social media
- Update Privacy Settings
- Keep Tabs on Your Apps: best practices for device applications
- Shake Up Your Passphrase Protocol: create strong, unique passphrases
- Double Your Login Protection: turn on multi-factor authentication
- Shop Safe Online
- Play Hard To Get With Strangers: how to spot and avoid phish
- If You Connect, You Must Protect: updating to the latest security software, web browser and operating systems
- Stay Protected While Connected: Wi-Fi safety
- If You Collect It, Protect It: keeping customer/consumer data and information safe
Office1 cybersecurity expert Gideon Ford says now is the time to take control of your important online information, "As we all have greater availability and access to network devices, social medias, online accounts, and an almost unending stream of data, we need to remember that we need to secure our information as we would lock the doors to our cars or homes. Cyber Security can be every bit as involved and mysterious as depicted in movies and media, but its also taking small steps to be aware of your online presence.
For more on the steps you can take to step up your cybersecurity efforts, visit the links below.